In 1891 Peter Wall purchased twelve acres of land for the Greenwood Cemetery.
He laid out the cemetery and with the help of the GAR Relief Corps and others, planted trees and hauled water to the site to establish them.
The hilly site known as the “old cemetery” was on Minthorn Street, east of then Highway 71 (now Interstate 15). Records indicate that eight pioneers, buried between 1876 and 1891, were disinterred from the old cemetery and moved to Greenwood Cemetery which is now known as Elsinore Valley Cemetery.
The first Superintendent of the cemetery was Charles “Cal” Sumner Merrifield, son-in-law to Peter Wall. He was followed by his son, Leslie Merrifield, who held that post until 1970 when he retired at age 70. Both men are now interred here at Elsinore Valley Cemetery.